Tuesday, April 10, 2007

on the beach in hawaii

With time zipping by at the speed of light, it has already been more than a week since we returned from our hawaii trip. In a way it both saddens and excites me. While I really miss being in hawaii, if time is going by fast it means that I will be on my (tentative) sea kayaking trip in July. Although the downside to this is that it too will be over quickily. Also, I don't want to wish away the spring and summer months as they are so rare up here in the artic north. For example, the day before it was warm and sunny, today it is cold and sucking...I mean snowing. Snowing all over the place. Snow on the dead brown grass, snow on the pinic table, snow in my face...it is getting into everything! Including my plans for summer weather.
Anyway, I am going to go back into my happy place and recount some of the details of the hawaii trip while it is still fresh in my sleep-deprived mind. So, the weather was perfect. It was a constant 28 - 30 degrees everyday - just enough to singe every part of my exposed epidermis. Warm enough to dehydrate me to the point of sun stroke (I should have known better, but it's been so long since I last saw the sun that I forgot its potential...). We went snorkling, hiked down through a tropical forest to a cove and watched surfers surf 10 foot waves, ate lots of wonderful local fruit, drank coffee (sadly even with Kona's 'best coffee in the world' we still managed to locate a starbucks on the island), perused through all the farmer's markets, swam with the sea turtles, mocked american tourists, watched amazing sunsets every night, slayed us some coconuts, cliff jumped, played with geckos...the list goes on. We did alot of cruising around in Lewis's Land Rover listening to all the relaxing, drug-inspired island music. For that short week it seemed perfect and just what the doctor ordered. We put on our flip flops and sunscreen (but not enough apparently) and momentarily forgot about life back home.
Then we arrived home back to our snowy, cold reality. Luckily though, it is April and we can still look forward to spring and summer. And maybe our summers aren't filled with tropical flowers and palm trees, but to me summer in Canada can be just as beautiful. Anyone wanting to argue with that comment go and hike the West Coast Trail first and then get back to me.

jenna








5 comments:

David said...

Nice photos!

I want to go to Hawaii now :(

Maybe I will book me a ticket.

You can expect a thank you letter and survey in the mail. A couple weeks after I returned in February the State of Hawaii sent me a big letter saying thank you for visiting and a huge survey that I will likely never fill out.

Neat.

You had an *almost* perfect trip.

But then you had to go and fly Air Canada, knocking off two Dave points in my books.

Boo.

-Dave

Jemma said...

it seemed to be one of the only ways to get there cheaply. what is so bad about air cananda. and how do you fly? my broom wasn't really working at the time.

David said...

it seemed to be one of the only ways to get there cheaply.

Really? Maybe you were lucky (I hope). I find AC to have somewhat expensive flights to Hawaii (though not the most expensive). I paid $650 all-in on American Airlines to Hawaii last June, and $400 all-in earlier this year to Hawaii, also on American Airlines, both flying from Calgary. Both of those flights yielded me a free flight just for taking the trips (not bad for a $1050 investment). The cheapest I found AC to be were around $700 - $800, with no mileage that would yield anything close to a free flight.

and how do you fly? my broom wasn't really working at the time.

Well, I have one specific/favorite airline in each airline partner group, those being: Oneworld (American Airlines), Star Alliance (United Airlines) and SkyTeam (Northwest Airlines). I am platinum on AA and NW, so I tend to fly them now cause of the benefits I have with them (comp. first class upgrades, lounge access, etc.)

what is so bad about air cananda.

In my experience AC has just substandard service compared to other airlines (which often charge less), but mostly they have a very bad mileage-earning program, which is based on $$$ spent. I prefer airlines that give you mileage based on how many miles you are actually flying (every other airline besides AC and Westjet does this). On AC, I have to spend around $10,000 to get a free flight. On any other airline, I just have to fly 25,000 miles (and since a round-trip to Hawaii is around 10,000 miles, this doesn't take long). And for someone who travels as much as me, I appreciate the benefits other airlines so willingly hands to me that Air Canada would never hand me.

Anyways, you are by no means bad for flying AC. Just be sure to shop around for airfares next time, as you might save a ton of money (http://matrix.itasoftware.com is a good site - it will search every airline in the world's fare databases directly).

Sorry for the long reply and annoying you with my opinionated positions on Air Canada :P

Dan said...

Thats okay Dave, I hate Air Canada for far lesson worthy reasons. As in, when we were in ottawa they cut us of on the runway and thus delayed our flight by 45 minuets. I could almost see every one of the passenger's flipping us the bird as they went by

David said...

Glad to hear someone agrees with me. It really is a terrible airline.

To choose between paying their excessive prices and getting treated like cattle, or paying less and getting treated like a King (plus getting free tickets to the Caribbean for just sitting in an airline seat) is a no-brainer.

I wish they would go bankrupt like JetsGo.