Thursday, October 12, 2006

bad timing

I feel like a big jerk.

This morning I was woken up with a start to loud, floor shaking music. I was a little confused because both Kaarina and Liane were gone so groggly I went downstairs to see where the noise was coming from. It was our basement tenant, at 8:30am, blaring his music so loud it was causing the vents to vibrate. This was not really a normal thing for him. He is the guy who brings us wine and all sorts of vegetables from his father's farm on a regular basis. He usually super quiet and is a really, really nice guy. I felt sort of bad going downstairs to ask him to turn down his music but it was so loud I couldn't escape it anywhere in the house. I went downstairs and knocked on the door (it took awhile because he couldn't really hear me knocking over the noise). He answered and looked super surprised to see me. He told me he thought I wasn't home and then proceeded to apologize over and over again. I told him it wasn't a really big deal, just maybe that he could turn it down a teeny bit. He apologized three more times.

An hour later I hear a knock at my kitchen door and I answer it to find basement guy. He put a bottle of wine in my hands and told me again that he was super sorry about all the noise. I told him it wasn't a big deal and that he didn't need to give me anything. He told me that it was just that he had gotten laid off from work and he was feeling down about it so he cranked his music to forget about everything. I think my mouth dropped. I suddenly felt really selfish. He told me that he was going to go get a job on the oil rigs (one week on and one week off sort of dealie) so we wouldn't have to hear much of him anymore. I wanted to cry I felt so bad. I told him I felt badly about him losing his job and again that he didn't have to give me stuff but he wouldn't take it back.

yeah...oops.

2 comments:

Jemma said...

yes, let us do something nice for him. Let's do it soon.

Jemma said...

Oh my Jenna,

I feel bad for him too. Maybe he wants a pumpkin pie. It always cheers us up.

anna