Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Golden memories

This last weekend officially marked the end of winter and the beginning of spring for me. When the last run has been skiied (or in my case, viciously ripped up by the sharp edges of my snowboard)for me there is no longer any other reason for winter to linger. Snow has no other purpose than to provide Warren Miller with a subject for all his films and for the rest of us winter sport enthusiasts with something to do in the winter. And even then, I don't have much use for it in places other than the mountains.
Hengen, Kevan, Leah, Duane, Karyn, Matt, and I just came back from a glorious, muscle-aching weekend of snowboarding at Kicking Horse. I love that resort. I am starting to love it almost as much as I love Fernie. Given enough time there I think I could love it more than Fernie. It is steep, it is deep - it is heaven in the form of cornices, powder, cliffs, and gondolas. It has everything...even a live grizzly in a little hut on the edge of one of the runs. His name is Boo and he is the keeper of the Kicking Horse.
I took my camera but mostly forgot to use it. For everyone who was not on the trip the highlight of the weekend might appear to be Duane brushing his teeth after his morning bagel.


So now that I am back and have satisfied my snowboarding needs I am ready to fully embrace spring. And since Edmonton is not as ready as I am for warm weather and sunshine, I intend to find it elsewhere. Elsewhere = Hawaii. Our plane leaves this saturday afternoon and we don't plan on coming back until Edmonton sheds its winter skin. For 9 days we will bask in the warm Hawaiian sun, splash in shark-infested waters, fling ourselves off cliffs into the sea, and picnic on active volcanos. Hopefully when we return Alberta will be ready for Anna's flip flop...because I know I will be.

Upon requests I am graciously willing to spend some of my time in Hawaii thinking about my friends back home. Just ask where and when you want me to think about you (example: Kristy Bidne, day 5, on the beach) and I will arrange a moment for it to happen. It will almost be as good as being there yourself...you may never feel the need to visit tropical paradise again.

Jenna

14 comments:

David Hengen said...

I've got a request for you: David Hengen, Days 1-9, everywhere you go... maybe not.

Duane Clemens said...

I find it funny that you refer to your boyfriend as Hengen.

I throw in the request of being remembered every time you brush your teeth.

D

Bid said...

Oh, you want me to think of you when I'm on the beach? Done!!! I'll think of how nice it was for you to pay for my trip to Hawaii.

Jenna - it makes me feel sad and rejected when you blog, intentionally discussing Hawaii and make some comment "about" me - knowing full well it's a comment "to me." I would appreciate it if you just didn't go to Hawaii and let me go in your stead.

Anna - notice the excellent "I statement?"

~kevan~ said...

Here's my request: Everytime you think of me I want you to picture me flipping you the bird. (Meant in the nicest possible way of course!)

Jemma said...

Kevan for some reason I find that endearing. sad isn't it?
Bidne, just remember that you will be with me in spirit which is just as good.
I would like to grant Hengen and Duane's requests. (I refer to my boyfriend as Hengen because I would hate to get him confused for another david...it would just be awkward).

J

Jemma said...

Wow,

Jenna you actually blogged.

Can I request that you think of me during your vacay? Unless Kristy actually succeeds and you suddenly "disappear" right before the plane leaves, and in your seat next to mine is a Bidne. In that case, think of me while I am on Vacay.


A.W.

David said...

Have fun this weekend girls!

I request to be thought of the first moment your toes hit the water. At that moment you will know why I travel so much.

I am jealous.

HAVE FUN!

Dan said...

Jenna, I want you to think about me as soon as you see that beach. Not just any old thought though, but a memory.

We also are on a beach, Although this one is dark and it is raining hard. In the small cave along the oceans rim, Nine rain soaked souls huddle near a dying fire praying for the rain to let up. Then remeber your youngest brother dumping your pack in the sand.

When you are on the beach. I also am flipping you the bird and cursing your powder filled weakend in kicking horse.
Jerk

Love Dan

Jemma said...

the family sends so much love these days...

J

Bid said...

Actually Jenna - you can think of me. You go to Hawaii...and think of me going into your house, making friends with your roommates and going through all of your stuff.

Karyn Clemens said...

Have FUN Jenna!!
But Dan makes a point..when I think of beach, I think of "The group of 9" soaked and sore on the lovely beaches of the WCT :) Oh well...

Karyn

Anonymous said...

Kristy Bidne - anytime. Jenna's stuff will be ripe for the rifling (unless you take too long and Kaarina and I ransack it all first).

Jemma said...

shoot! Kristy maybe I'd better just take you with me to be safe.

Dan said...

Alright well I dont actualy wish you ill. So Ill put in my thought request. Dan, day 1-4. Hooking dave up with another girl.

Love Dan