Sunday, March 04, 2007

On a scale of cold...

There are exactly 20 days until I arrive in Hawaii. It seems quite far away still. 3 weeks is the equivalent of 2 papers and four finals. When you look at it in those terms it feels like 20 days will never finish before I get to feel the hot sun burning the top layer of my flesh. After five months of snow a sun burn will be a welcome change. Normally I try to protect against skin damage, but this may be the first time that I dare the sun to alter my skin colour to a nice rouge.

Yesterday was soo lovely that I had to go outside and wade through the slush. But, when I use the word lovely it has to be understod from the context of a comparison to the day before. Friday was soo cold that I could hear ice crystals crunching inside my legs when I quit waiting for the bus after 25 minutes and then went back home. This said, I find it humourous that nice weather in Edmonton is relative to the weather the day before. On a scale of cold...

Hawaii will be a nice reprieve from Edmonton. If I could, I would bring our hosts a bucket of snow to treasure. The locals have probably never seen it before.

This moment of thinking about Hawaii was a vacation in itself from thinking about homework stuff. I may not even need to go. Just Kidding!


Anna

15 comments:

David said...

You will most definitely need sunscreen :)

I forgot to bring mine, and didn't want to pay the excessive Hawaiian prices for it, so I let my skin burn freely. I am very tan right now, it's pretty insane.

If you're looking for sunshine, be sure to spend most of your time on the western half of the Big Island (the Kailua-Kona area). The eastern half (Hilo area) is the rainest part of the United States, and I did not see the sun shine at all while I was in Hilo. Kona, though is nice :D

Have fun!

Jemma said...

To Kona we are going!

Bid said...

Hawaii - sometimes I hate my friends

glynis said...

I AM SO JEALOUS.
Just so you know.
I wish I could go too...
You will have to write me a long letter about your experiences!
Are you staying with the Lewis and the Aaron?

David said...

Hey, I wrote a follow-up message a couple days ago but I guess it didn't go through. So here is a summarized version.

Yay for Kona. You will love it.

When you are there, see if you can make it down to the Pu'uhonia o Honaunau historic site. It's a preserved Hawaiian indiginous village (hundreds of years old) on a beautiful setting. Trust me, it's very cool. To see photos and get inspired check out my website for Kona coast amazement.

And if you can get out to the volcanoes to see the lava, you simply must go.

And if you do go to the volcanoes, have lunch at the Lava Rock Cafe. They have an utterly delicious house Passionfruit-vinagerette salad dressing - it's life changing.

Okay, that's all. Have fun!

Jemma said...

dave thanx for your help, we will be sure to show you the pictures when we get back. It is cool that you have alrady been here, it makes me excited to go.

Jenna

Bid said...

yeah - I think I'll just reiterate what I said earlier. Sometimes I had my friends. But don't worry - since you are Jenna are going to Hawaii - I hate you equally.

Bid said...

funny.... that one sentence was meant to say Sometimes I hate friend... but now it's even more funny!!!!

Bid said...

Okay, now this is just becoming a habit.... I'm addicted to commenting on your blog.

Bid said...

One downside would be that I have to type in those stupid letters. That is definitely a deterrent from commenting

Bid said...

but obviously it wasn't a big one :)

Jemma said...

HA,

I love when you are addicted to commenting on my blog Kristy. And dont worry, I will think of you specifically while I am in, DAer I say it? (Hawaii!)

David said...

You've got someone in Budapest checking out your blog! Creepy!

Those European stalkers are no fun.

Jemma said...

How do you know that somone from Budapest is checking out our blog?

David said...

I was bored and I looked at your clustermap thing one day. There is a lone dot right on Budapest (or in the general vicinity).