Thursday, June 01, 2006

of flour and blow darts

IT'S OVER! At last, my statistics midterm is o-v-e-r. Mind you, just because it's over doesn't mean I did well on it...sigh. It's probably a good sign though that everytime I say the word 'mean' a statistical formula pops into my mind.

Being instantaniously stressfree is a fantastic feeling. It is a beautiful +27 degrees outside. I think I'll go for a early evening frolic. I'm happy and carefree even though some yahoo in the parking lot whacked my left sideview mirror into an unnatural position. Luckily my mirrors are bendy. Made me want to whack him into a unnatural position...

I have been enjoying summer so far. The city is full of beautiful foliage, summer means summer vacation (at least it does this year...although that is not usually the case), and basement guy has taken it upon himself to become the official house lawn mower - it couldn't get better than this. On second thought, it probably could. I could be rollin' deep and already on vacation. My midterm could have been a final which would have meant I was done. But nevertheless, I am attempting to remain optimistic. In preparation for the west coast trail I think I have planned for myself a 'camping in the backyard' adventure. The only difference will be that, instead of potentially being eaten by large, terrifying animals of the...animal variety, I run the risk of being either torched or stabbed by large, terrifying animals of the human variety. Either way, it is a good thing I have a safety whistle/buckle on my new Asolo pack. I am trying to make this experience as realistic as possible so instead of carrying a cell phone with me as backup protection (like one would normally do in the city) I am going to carry a blowdart gun. You know...just like the natives use on the coast. Right Kaarina?

This pre-conditioning for the WCT is nothing in comparison to the vigorous training my parents have been undergoing. My mother has been putting big bags of flour in her backpack along with my father, who crammed dumbells in his, and together they hike 6km trails. These are not flat trails either. Also they have been running up and down our basement stairs with the flour and dumbells in preparation for the...ladders? (not really sure about that one). Sort of makes me glad I'm not home these days. My father is clutzy sometimes, it is only a matter of time before he trips with the bag of flour. Poof! and suddenly our stairwell looks like a winter wonderland.

On another note I would like to report that my guitar mentor Lane remains hot. Good news, he still hasn't caught on to the fact that I already know how to play guitar:)

Jenna

3 comments:

David Hengen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David Hengen said...

maybe lane has known all along that you can already play guitar.
hiking tips: hike other smaller hills first. they say, according to the statistics anyways, pre-hiking helps out with the real thing 90% of the time.

i'm not very funny when i'm sick.

*cough, cough, sniffle*

Jemma said...

aww. poor sick david. I had bronchitis last week if it makes you feel any better.

maybe I'll start hiking the edmonton ski club's "ski hill" for practice.

J