Tuesday, February 14, 2006

ahh valentine's day...pink and red in every shop window, people walking around with flowers, chocolate boxes, and infatuated looks on their faces, and a full parking lot at the ever-so-dodgy love stop. I went to a job interview today (not at the love stop) and the lady interviewing me wished me a happy valentines day. I didn't quite know how to respond. First off, I didn't know you just wished anyone a happy valentine's day (I thought that sentiment was generally reserved for more intimate relationships), and second, um...off, I have never given the day much regard. Truth be told, it seems to me to be entirely frivolous. I am not just saying this because I am jaded or bitter about relationships (because I'm really not), but because - I just find it all very silly. There is nothing you could buy me that would elicit any sort of swooning response. But then again, that is just me, and there has been much discussion as to whether or not I am emotionally dead inside. I personally think that is a little far-fetched, at the very least I am in emotional coma. I blame it on my british mother...the brits were never much for outwardly emotion.

Actually, as I have had the opportunity to discover this year, Kaarina and I both share a dislike for extreme emotion. Of course, Kaarina's phlegmatic demeanor does serve a larger purpose...she is, afterall, trying to be an evil world dictator. She would not let something as trivial as emotion get in the way of her tyrannical appetite. With that being said, I do not want to give the impression that people like us are devoid of all emotion. It is just that we reserve our emotion for...other things. Inanimate objects such as: snowboards, old sneakers, and (this one is Kaarina's) backpacks. I do hold some emotion for sentient beings as well. For example, I have a fondness for cute old people and little furry kittens. See? That is not so bad is it? You just won't find me gushing over a dozen roses. It could be worse.


valentine's day...who invented this tripe?

Jenna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the grocery store last night and bought a box of chocolates. I gave half to the lady and she gave half to me. I figured that way we filled our requisite Valentine's obligation. Mind you, we chose to skip it altogether last year, so I suppose that any chocolate purchase, no matter how small, is a step backwards.... Tripe indeed! mmmm..... I like tripe...

David Hengen said...

it's really too bad that you can't be swooned by a well thought out gift. that's unlucky news for that someone who wants to impress you. anyways, i hope you do have a happy valentines day, whatever that means.